Wednesday, May 1, 2013

What are all of you looking for?

The George Washington Bridge spans the Hudson River, connecting Jersey to the furthest uptown reaches of Manhattan. It's a majestic bridge, and my NYC cycling map indicates that it is bicycle traversable, which means its also scooter traversable, which means I must traverse it.

I had a free afternoon, so I took a long train ride uptown and set out on my quest of scootering across my first state border.


Well, I did it.

The bridge was actually pretty easy to cross. It was very long, but pretty flat. Nothing compared to the mountainous Queensboro bridge in my neck of the woods. Once I got to Jersey I cheered and smiled and asked myself, "what the hell do I do now?" I saw an entrance to a trail leading into a patch of forest nearby, so that answered my question.


I hiked a little bit through the woods and ended up on the edge of a respectably massive cliff overlooking the river. It occurred to me at that point that this place was pretty special. I continued my hike along this cliff, down some cool rocky steps to a paved road, then down the road (which may have been the best downhill ride I have ever experienced)to the riverbank. I made a pit stop at a man-made peninsula park then followed a new path along the river.


I took in the scenery for a while until I noticed some women descending from the hillside next to me. They left the marked trail: forbidden, but nobody reads the sign. They were carrying dirty bags. I wondered what was in them. Further down the path I saw more women digging in the dirt. Then I saw more women up in the brush rummaging around. Keep in mind, this is tsking place over a mile and a half of trail. When I saw yet another pair of ladies on their hands and knees digging, I pulled out my phone to take a picture. When I got close, the younger lady gave me an embarrassed "hey." I didn't feel comfortable taking a picture. I apologize.

I'm happy to see all these women outside playing, but they left me questioning. What in the world were they looking for? Maybe Jersey has shallow, undiscovered gold mines. Another thing I noticed was that every single one of these ladies was Asian. I don't know what to make of that. All I know is I want in.





1 comment:

  1. That sounds very productive. I wonder what lies out there in the other states.

    ReplyDelete