Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Theresa, get out of the road!

A woman with a power chair and a man with a cane were both struggling with the woman's power chair on the curb of a two-way street in Morningside when I came rolling by.
I asked, "Need some help?"
The man gave a hesitant nod and an awkward smile but the woman looked up at me, made a gargling hiss noise, and projected some spittle through the vacuumous cavern of her remaining teeth.
The man gave me another nervous chuckle. He asked the woman, "Theresa, where you goin?"
Theresa moaned and rolled her head around.
A teenager behind me reported to a friend, "Yo, a zombie!"
"Are we going up or down?" I dropped my scooter on the bricks.
Theresa decided that having one back wheel propped on the curb was sufficient, sat down, and throttled, spinning the suspended back wheel in the direction of the street. She made more noises.
The man told her, "I'm gonna give you a push," and he did.
My face got hot as Theresa dislodged from the curb, buzzed into the roadway, and spiraled in all directions. "Watch yourself," I warned.
The man repeated my warning.
Children on the opposite side of the street began laughing.
Theresa zigzagged her way from side to side. Cars passed tentatively and girls walking beside me deemed the woman insane.
I decided no more could be done and rode away while the man with the cane turned and hobbled in the opposite direction.

If you look closely, you just might see a power chair in the road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment